REVIEW OF ILLUSTRATED

Critic Finds Articles Commonplace and Editorials Cloudy.

Nobody would be likely to call the present number of the Harvard Illustrated Magazine brilliant, but most readers would probably call it sensible. If some preferred to call it commonplace, they would not be entirely without justification. At least in the first article we read: "Some men are studiously inclined and will sacrifice everything to academic interests; others believe that it is more important to lead their class in outside activities and they consequently neglect their studies. A horse can be led to water but he cannot be made to drink." And near the end in an editorial article on "The New Gymnasium," we learn that "it is being more and more widely recognized that the physical standard has its importance as well as the scholastic standard, and the question of giving particular attention to the physical welfare of the undergraduates merits serious consideration." Here surely is no trace of originality in either thought or expression. Nor would everybody call all the critical opinions expressed in this number of the Illustrated sound. Most critics, I think, as they have read Mr. Herrick's novel, "Together," have had such difficulty in remembering who's who among the characters, that they would not say with the kindly author of "Some Harvard Writers" in the Illustrated that "Together" is notable for its "fine sense of form" and that it is "surcharged with a life the reality of which no one can question."

However, about art there is always difference of opinion. Most of us will be more likely to agree with some but by no means all--of the other opinions in the article just mentioned. We shall mostly agree too with the sensible conclusion of the wordy and cloudy editorial on "Limitation of Activities," that "rather than be restricted in their activities, college men should be educated to moderation." We are also likely to agree with what Mr. H. B. Gill says very well about the Randall Hall Association, to read with much pleasure Mr. M. M. McDermott's stimulating "Choice of Law as a Profession," and Dr. G. W. Kirchwey's interesting article on "The New Law," and to read with milder pleasure, besides the articles already referred to, those on "Early Baseball at Harvard," by Dr. H. S. White, "The Harvard Man and the Theatre," "Historic Fires in College Buildings," "The Working Student in Undergraduate Activities," and bits of intercollegiate news, book reviews, and three or four brief editorial articles