PLANNING TO IMPROVE COOP.

DIRECTORS ARE CONSIDERING ERECTION OF NEW FRONT AND ADDITIONS.

The Directors of the Co-operative Society are considering the project of a new front for the Co-operative's main store in the Square. The CRIMSON prints today a reproduction of the preliminary sketch submitted to the Directors by the architects, Messrs. Newhall and Blevins of Boston. The present plans provide for an entrance to the store on the street level with considerable spaces reserved for show windows. The facade is of Harvard brick with white marble trimmings. It is proposed also to erect an addition in the rear of the present store, thus greatly increasing the available floor space. When the reconstruction plans are completed, the Co-operative's building will extend from Massachusetts avenue through to Palmer street. It is anticipated that the men's furnishings department, which now occupies quarters upstairs, will then be given a better location on the street floor.

The Co-operative's total business has so greatly increased during recent years that an enlargement of the present building cannot be any longer delayed. During the Christmas season it became at times practically impossible to handle the trade in the book and stationary departments. The proposed enlargement and the new store-front would entail an expenditure of about $50,000, and this in turn would mean a considerable increase in capital charges upon the business. The Directors believe, however, that the convenience of customers demands better service than can be provided in the present cramped quarters.

It is altogether likely that several changes will have to be made before the plans are finally adopted, and any suggestions in the way of improvements upon the sketch which is now printed, will be welcomed by the Board of Directors.