NOW CO-OPERATION SYSTEM WORKS

Two Years' Work at University Admits to Third Class at Tech.

The new University catalogue which will be issued shortly contains some interesting references on one aspect of the co-operation between the University and the Institute of Technology. The general account of the engineering courses offered by the University states that subjects required for degrees in engineering and mining, that are of a general nature and are not covered by the agreement for co-operation between the University and Technology may be taken either at Harvard or Technology."

This means that students intending to take an undergraduate course in engineering at Technology may, while students in the University, anticipate the first two years' work in any of Technology's prescribed courses leading to the bachelor's degree in science and secure admission as third-year students in the courses at Technology. The schedule of courses in the Technology catalogue shows that practically all of the first two years' work in the undergraduate program and some of the third-year courses is made up entirely of non-engineering courses all of which are given at the University.

This, however, is not a new situation. Technology has always admitted to advanced standing applicants who have performed part of the work of the line of study to which they ask to be admitted.

Concerning the co-operative agreement itself, the new catalog has little to say. It states that "New students have been admitted during the current year with the expectation of profiting by the co-operation; and some of the University professors (seven) are giving instruction at Technology in addition to their work at Cambridge. The details for carrying out the co-operation are not entirely settled as the University Catalog goes to press. The plan, however, is that "students who enroll in these (the engineering) departments will be prospective candidates for degrees both from the University and from Technology, and upon graduation they will receive diplomas from both the University and Technology.

The fee for instruction in the engineering courses given by the University this year has been raised to $250 to correspond with the fee at Technology.