RELAY RUNNERS SET RECORD

SHORT DISTANCE TEAM HOLDS TITLE FOR ONE HOUR IN, B. A. A. GAMES.

Both of the University relay teams and the Freshman team won their races at the B. A. A. Games in Mechanics Hall Saturday night. F. H. Blackman '14, who won the mile handicap was the only Harvard entrant in the open events strong enough to win a place in the fierce individual competition.

The University 390-yard team enjoyed the unique distinction of being world's champions for answer. In the rise with Cornell, Captain W. A. Barren, Jr., '14, A. Biddle '16, F. W. Capper '15, and R. Tower '15 ran the 1560 yards in 3 minutes, 61-5 seconds, taking three fifths of a second off the record made by Burns, Gram, Halpin, and Merrihew of the B. A. A. just a year ago. Tower won the pole from Lewis and gave about five yards to Biddle who held it over Irish. Caldwell was sailing after Capper in the third relay when he fell, and although he recovered quickly, Capper was able to turn over to Barron a lead which Starr could not hope to overcome. Even had Starr been in good position he could not have beaten Barron, who was at his best. Barron raced home with a twenty-yard lead. Fame did not dally long with the Harvard team; an hour later, the same B. A. A. quartet, which made the record a year previous, defeated the New York A. C. and took three fifths of a second off the time of the Harvard runners, going the distance in 3 minutes, 5 and 3-5 seconds.

The University 780-yard relay team also set a new dual record in defeating Yale. E. Stone '15 started for Harvard and took the lead over Scotten for a lap. Then Scotten jumped ahead and Stone was content to trail until the fifth lap when he began a nicely timed sprint which enabled him to turn over about ten yards to J. R. Abbott '14. Abbott held his own with Bayne, and in the third relay the race was decided when W. J. Bingham '16 outran Captain Brown. F. W. Capper '15 was anchor man, running his second race of the evening. He increased his fifteen-yard lead over Smith to twenty-five. The time 7 minutes, 3 and 1-5 seconds is 8 and 1-5 seconds faster than the time made by H. Guild '10, G. W. Riley '10, W. H. Fernald '12, and H. Jacques '11 in 1910.

The Freshman team had to fight hard to beat their opponents, although after the first relay Yale was never alread. The time of 3 minutes, 11 4-5 seconds, made by W. Wilcox, Jr., A. O. Phinney, M. Hobbs, and Captain E. A. Teschner is good.