ORATOR AND POET SELECTED

PROF. TAFT AND DR. CARMAN TO DELIVER PHI BETA KAPPA SPEECHES.

The Phi Beta Kappa Society will hold its annual Commencement meeting on Monday, June 15. The orator of the occasion will be Hon. William Howard Taft, LL.D., '05, D.C.L., of Yale University; Mr. William Bliss Carman, A.B., A. M., LL.D., of New Canaan, Conn., has been chosen poet.

Professor Taft received his A. B. from Yale in 1878, ranking second in a class of 121; he was salutatorian and class orator. He was admitted to the bar in 1880, and from 1892 to 1900 was United States circuit judge of the sixth Judicial Circuit. He was honored with the degree of LL.D. from Yale in 1893, from the University of Pennsylvania and Johns Hopkins in 1902, and from Harvard in 1905. From 1904 to 1908 he was Secretary of War in the Cabinet of President Roosevelt, and in 1909 was elected the twenty-seventh president of the United States. He is this year Kent Professor of Law in Yale College, of Constitutional Law in the Law School, and Page Lecturer in Sheffield Scientific School.

After receiving his A.B. in 1881 from the University of New Brunswick, Mr. Carman studied at Edinburgh in 1882-83, receiving his A.M, from the University of New Brunswick in 1884. From 1886 to 1888 he read law at Harvard, and then began his career as editor and poet. He is the author of "Low Tide on Grand Pre," 1893; "Ballads of Lost Haven," 1897; "By the Aurelian Wall," 1897; "The Green Book of the Bards," 1898; "Ode on the Coronation of King Edward," 1902; and "The Gate of Peace," 1907.