THE DOUBLE-TRACK, THE SINGLE, TRACK, AND THE PATHLESS DESERT.

The scholarship lists published today suggest reflections upon the work men do. While this roster places before the unbelieving tangible evidence that others are busy besides those who figure in the sporting headlines, they are somewhat disappointing in what they indicate concerning the breadth of undergraduate interests. Only about ten per cent of the men in the First and Second Groups have achieved distinction in other fields of college activity.

This is not to say that all the others are to be classed as "grinds." The term "grind" is, or ought to be, applied to the man whose interests are one-fold, whose mind is literally single-tracked. He fails to acquire the human element in culture. Of course, the scholar whose name appears on no University record besides this list and the Directory, may have varied tastes; the drama, or music, or attempting to create literature may be his humanizing hobbies. And the football player may be a grind as well as the scholar,--if he cannot see beyond the gridiron. But what shall be said of the remaining class, those who are neither "active" nor studious,--and that from their own choice or inertia?