YALE COMMENCES PRACTICE FOR THREE WINTER SPORTS

Track, Wrestling, and Swimming Squads at Work.--Crew Training Begins In February.

The winter track season at Yale began in the cage on December 6 for Freshmen and upper classmen. There are seven "Y" men eligible this year, Captain Oler, Hampton, Johnstone, Overton, Preston, Young, and Bunker, who is also manager. There will be three or four indoor meets this winter, and every man who shows promise will be given a chance to compete. Entries will probably be made in the B. A. A. meet, the New York Athletic Club meet, the Indoor Collegiate, and the Hartford meet. The new building for the practice of indoor track events is under construction.

Spring practice for crew men will begin about February 15. The machines in the gymnasium will be used until Coach Nichols' return from England early in March, when the crews will probably get out on the water. A race has been arranged during the Easter recess with Pennsylvania, in which both the university and second eights will compete, Yale hopes to send the second and Freshman crews to the American Henley in May.

About 50 men have reported as candidates for the wrestling team and a series of novice meets, open to all members of the university, has been held. About two weeks after the Christmas vacation the university championships will take place, the results of which will determine the first make-up of the team. Yale will meet Columbia, Pennsylvania, Harvard. Annapolis, and Princeton. Coach Winters will have charge of the wrestlers this year, and will be assisted by members of last year's team.

The Yale swimming management has arranged ten swimming meets and eight water-polo games.