APPOINTMENT OFFICE SEEKS SENIORS DESIRING TO TEACH

Found Positions for 216 Men During 1914-1915, an Increase of 13 Over Previous Year.

The University Appointment Office is trying this year to include in the lists of candidates for positions as teachers in 1916-17, all Seniors interested in teaching, even for a year, whose course of study fits them to prepare boys in definite subjects, and those, if less well trained for teaching, whose athletic and other college interests have prepared them to be leaders of boys especially in boarding schools and country day schools.

Last year the Appointment Office had more calls for athletic directors in secondary schools, especially in private schools, than it could fill. The management of school athletics is usually entrusted not to professionals but to college graduates, who will devote part of their time to teaching an academic subject, but who will give the larger portion to arousing in the school a healthy interest in outdoor sports, and to coaching one or more of the teams. Such positions do not require, as a rule, men with brilliant athletic records; men who have played on "scrub" football and baseball teams and who understand the rules of the games are often well fitted to undertake this instruction.

Another demand is for teachers with some musical training. Such a teacher might in some schools be called upon to play the organ and train the choir; he might have to play the hymns where the school services are less formal; or he might be asked to help with the Glee Club.

Men possessing any of these qualifications are often in demand for one or two years, even when their record is not high and when they do not expect to make teaching their profession.

The Appointment Office, therefore, wishes all Seniors even remotely interested in teaching to call at University 11 preferably before the Christmas recess, or at latest just after, any morning between 10 and 12 o'clock.

Latest Figures Show Progress.

The figures just announced by the Office show an encouraging increase in the number of positions filled, for whereas in 1913-14 the total number of men for whom positions were found was 203, in 1914-15 the total is 216. Of the persons appointed, 31 were recommended in letters written at the request of candidates, or schools, or agencies, and 185 were recommended directly by the Office. The gain of 13 positions has been made in a year when few institutions have asked the Office for men to take the places of professors on leave of absence. and when financial depression has lessened the number of new positions. There were 602 calls direct and 64 through agencies, as against 465 and 42 for 1913-14. Of the positions filled, 107 were in colleges and universities, private schools gave employment to 41 men, and 25 were teachers in public schools. Last year's figures show 116 men in colleges or universities, 32 in private schools, and 22 in public schools. The aggregate salaries reported amounted to $232,010, as against $237,436 for the previous year. The apparent decrease is due to the fact that fewer men reported their salaries.

English was taught by 43 men; modern languages by 37; sciences by 34; history by 22; education, including such positions as superintendent and director, by 21; mathematics by 15; ancient languages by 11; and government and economics by 10. Of the positions filled 57 were in Massachusetts, 22 in New York, 16 in Pennsylvania, 15 in Ohio, and 10 in Illinois. Thirty-four states, the District of Columbia, Hawaii, the Philippine Islands, and Canada were represented