FORUM UPHELD MILITARY CAMPS

LAST MEETING OF YEAR ENDS IN VICTORY FOR MILITARISTS.

The University Forum held last night on military camps resulted in a 48 to 36 victory for their advocates. The question, as officially worded, was: "Resolved, That this Forum approves the participation of Harvard men in summer military camps." D. H. Ingram '16, chairman of the Forum Committee, presided.

The debate opened with a statement of the opinions of each side, J. T. L. Jeffries '15 speaking first for the affirmative. The discussion then resolved itself into a question of armament, with summer camps figuring as an aid in increasing the strength of the country's defences.

The advocates of camps based their arguments on two principal points. First, that camps are beneficial to the individual and give their members a good knowledge of military affairs; and, second, that this country needs a stronger armament, and that camps aid in giving it one.

The paciflists argued that the camps are unnecessary and harmful in a nation which is striving to maintain peace, and that the time spent in them could be better used in constructive work.

W. H. Crook 1G. spoke very convincingly for the negative, and J. T. L. Jeffries '15 upheld the case of the affirmative well. R. H. Pass '15, for the camps, and P. Campos '15 and A. Fisher '15 against them were also effective speakers.