The Need of a College Orchestra.

Communication

(We invite all men in the University to submit communications on subjects of timely interest, but assume no responsibility for sentiments expressed under this head.)

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:--

There has been a constantly growing feeling for some years, that the Pierian has ceased to be the representative orchestra of Harvard University, and is maintained more for socal ties than for the advancement of orchestral music. A perusal of any three consecutive lists shows that a number of men sever connections with the orchestra after a membership of one year or less. If its prime object is to give the players orchestral experience, why is it that practically only one programme was given the whole year? How was it that even then at many concerts some of the wind instrument solos were played by memory, by the concert-master? This state of affairs has turned away a sufficient number of men to form an efficient orchestra. Former members of the St. Louis and Philadelphia symphonies, Boston Opera, and the N. E. Conservatory of Music, and a leader of a Boston theatre have complained that the annual try-outs are given by conductor-pianists who do not understand the wind and string sections. The last three conductors had no previous experience, the last two were graduates; the conductor-elect is an outside professional. Is this not the same as having a professional coach play on the football team? Thirteen "Symphony men" and some N. E. Conservatory students played at the final concent. Practically every soloist--except the concertmaster--was an outsider. Is this representatively undergraduate?

The only remedy is an orchestra under the Music Department. Thus undergraduates may be appointed as conductors by men of maturity, Soloists may secure orchestral accompaniment; courses in musical appreciation, history, and orchestration may hear masterpieces and original scores repeatedly.

The College gives men who play in the N. E. Conservatory Orchestra one-half course credit. Is it not fair that the same credit be given to members of a college orchestra? The Pierian is a separate organization having a state charter. What we need is a College orchestra to do for our Music Department what the English 47 workshop does for our Dramatic Department. BENJAMIN GROSBAYN.   Assistant Conductor '14-'15.   Concertmaster 1912-1913; 1914-1915.