THE PREJUDICED PIERIAN.

The CRIMSON prints a communication today which calls attention to the need of a representative undergraduate orchestra. The writer asserts that the Pierian Sodality is hampered in its work on account of obstacles inherent to its organization. These obstacles arise chiefly from the fact that the Pierian, in addition to being an orchestra, is a social organization, and this fact stands in the way of any radical improvements. Because of its social character, discriminations are necessarily made which seriously impair the quality of the work.

It is claimed, for example, that an orchestra of greater experience and ability could be made up from undergraduates outside of the Pierian, than from those in it. Moreover, social qualifications have so restricted the Society in the choice of its conductors, that it has had to resort to graduates and even to professionals for its leaders. The charge of professionalism is further advanced on account of the employment of Symphony men in the annual concerts. Nor can the general work of the Society be given a very high place, either in the variety of their programmes, or in the quality of their execution. The statements contained in the communication are not invalidated by the fact that its author is a man with a grievance.

It is not, however, the object of the CRIMSON to attack the Pierian, but to show the need of a University orchestra, under the control of the Music Department. Such an orchestra could be of utmost service to the department,--for example, by playing illustrations for Music 3 and 4, and by running over original scores for members of Music 6. At present, a man who plays a year in the New England Conservatory Orchestra gets credit for a half course. There is no reason why such an advantage should not be enjoyed in an orchestra from which the University gained the benefits.