EIGHT SYMBOLS COMPLETE LARZ ANDERSON BRIDGE

Bronze Figures on the Four Columns Represent the Soldier and the Scholar.

Eight bronze symbols representing the scholar and the soldier are being placed on the columns at both ends of the Larz Anderson bridge. They are the work of the schulptor, I. Kirchmayer, of East Cambridge, and the bronze forms were cast by John Williams & Co., of New York.

On the north end of the bridge, a tablet on the right hand column bears the following dedication, which explains the use of the scholar and soldier symbols: "This bridge was built in memory of Nicholas Longworth Anderson, graduate of Harvard College in the class of 1858; Adjutant-Colonel, Brevet-Brigadier and Major-General of volunteers in the Civil War. To a father by a son." Above this tablet, on the north side is the eagle, the soldier's habit, shield, helmet and banner all welded in bronze forms. On the opposite side of the column is a similar symbol composed of bronze forms. On the opposite side of the column is a similar symbol composed of bronze books, an inkwell and quill, lamp, sealing wax and scroll, representing the scholar.

The column on the east side of the bridge nearest the Weld boathouse bears the same symbols only in reversed positions, the symbol of the scholar facing the north and that of the soldier toward the Stadium. On the tablet below is the following inscription: "May this bridge, built in memory of a scholar and soldier, connecting the College Yard and playing fields of Harvard, be an every present reminder to students passing over it of loyalty to country and alma mater, and a lasting suggestion that they should devote their manhood, developed by study and play on the banks of this river, to the nation and its needs."

On each of the two columns at the south end of the bridge, nearest the Stadium, the same two symbols have been placed in positions corresponding to those at the opposite end of the bridge. The right hand column, as one faces the Stadium, has a tablet on which these words have been inscribed: "On either side of the river there was a tree of life, which bore twelve manner of fruits and yielded her fruit every month, and the leaves of the tree were for the healing of the nations."--Rev. XXII, 2. Above this is the symbol of the soldier.

Below the symbol of the scholar on the column to the left is the quotation in bronze: "The multitude of the wise is the welfare of the world."--Wisdom of Solomon, VII, 24.

Seven of the bronze forms have already been placed, and the work will probably be completed tomorrow.