MANY BOOKS PUBLISHED

University Press Catalogue Shows Progress.

The second catalogue of the University Press, recently issued, shows that in about two years since the press was founded, it has published over three hundred books by about a hundred and fifty authors.

The Press was "inaugurated primarily for the publication of books of a high standard, and aims to aid in the advancement of knowledge by making possible the wide distribution of the work of the foremost scholars of the world. It aims to help in promptly disseminating the results of original research and investigation by printing a number of serial publications. It does not plan, however, to compete with the commercial publisher, since its chief function is the issuing of books that would not be commercially profitable." All books published must receive the endorsement of the syndics of the Press, a body of noted scholars in several branches of learning.

The books published have kept up to the standards set in the above quotation. They have covered subjects belonging to nearly every branch of learning, and have been written by high authorities in the particular fields.

Among the more recent books of greater interest are "Chaucer and His Poetry," by Professor G. L. Kittredge '82; "Some Aspects of the Tariff Question," by Professor F. W. Taussing '79; "The Trust Problem," by E. Dana Durand, recently Director of the United States Census; "Essays in Social Justice," by Professor T. N. Carver; and "The Governemnts of France, Germany, and England," by President Lowell.

There are five main branches under which the publications are listed. In the first group are works on History, Economics, and Social Science. Included here are the twenty odd volumes of the Harvard Historical Studies, thirteen volumes of the Harvard Economics Studies, the Harvard Studies in Education, many case-books for use in law schools, and numerous other volumes.

In the field of languages and literature come nineteen volumes in the Harvard Oriental Series, edited under the general direction of Professor C. R. Lanman; the Harvard Studies in Comparative Literature, and Romance Languages; and many other works on literature and philology.

In the field of art and architecture, Professor W. C. Sabine's forthcoming book on Acoustics is perhaps the most notable. There are works dealing with many branches of modern science and mathematics, and on philosophy and religion.

The Press publishes three larger periodicals: "The Quarterly Journal of Economics," edited by Professor F. W. Taussing '79; the "Harvard Law Review," and the "Harvard Theological Review."