OUTLOOK BRIGHT AT START OF CORNELL TRACK PRACTICE

Most of Point Winners at I. C. A. A. A. A. Games Last Spring Available This Year.

The championship Cornell track squad, with an abundance of good material on hand, has started its campaign to capture the 1916 intercollegiate honors. The chief objects in view at present are the relay games of the B. A. A. on February 5, one or two other meets, and the big indoor carnival to be held by the I. C. A. A. A. A. in New York on March 4; but Coach Moakley has begun the process of sorting out his best men for the various events to be contested in the championship games next spring.

The Ithacans begin their work of preparation under most favorable auspices. Of the 43 points which Cornell totalled in the meet last spring, men who scored 38 of them are back at college and eligible to compete. In addition to this group there are a number of men from last year's squad who are likely to improve,--Van Winkle, a good, sprinter, who was not available last year; Kelley, also ineligible, and several strong men from the freshman team of a year ago. The point-winners lost to the squad include Ingersoll, third in the 100-yard dash; Speiden, second in the half-mile; McCutcheon, second in the hammer-throw and third in the shot-put; and Irish, fifth in the mile run. The men available for this year's team and their standings in the title meet last spring are: Potter, first in the two-mile run; Richards, second in the high-jump and fourth in the broad-jump; Starr, second in the 120-yard high hurdles; Windnagle, second in the mile run, and captain-elect of the cross-country team; Foss, one of the three men to tie for first in the polevault; Hoffmire, third in the two-mile run; Gubb, second in the high hurdles, and Lukens, fifth in the same event.

Cornell has a number of likely looking sprinters and quarter-milers working for the shorter relay. Besides Kelley and Van Winkle, Coach Moakley will use Bartsch, who scored in two dual meets a year ago; Lewis, a good 220 man and quarter-miler; Crim, another 440 runner, and Priester. From the 1918 team, Hickman and Shelton are good sprinters. With Starr, Gubb and Lukens out again for the hurdles, and with good second-string material in Millard, Lyford and Acheson, as well as Lasser and Watt, sophomores, Cornell should be stronger than ever in these events.

The weakest point in Cornell's squad is the quarter-mile. For several years the Ithacans have not had a star 440 man, and this year they have no one as fast as Willcox of the university team. Cornell is, however, unusually strong in the distance events. Windnagle, with a record of 1.56 to his credit, is the best of a good squad of half-milers. Cornell is equally strong in the mile and two-mile races.

In the high-jump, Richards, Cady and MacLaren will be the mainstays, and the same three, with Hickman, who did 21 feet 11 inches in the Penn, meet last year, are the broad-jumpers. Foss, Hickman and Cheney are the best pole-vaulters, while Richards, Hageman, McCormick, Moore and Howell will be the mainstays in the weights.