TIGERS LOST HOCKEY SERIES

UNIVERSITY SEVEN WON SECOND GAME BY SCORE OF 2 GOALS TO 0.

New York, N. Y., January 23, 1916.--An exceptionally fast game, featured by spectacular goal-tending on both sides, gave the University hockey team the series over Princeton at the St. Nicholas Rink last night by the score of 2 to 0. The game was very close and exciting throughout, and was not decided until two extra periods had been played, while the margin of superiority displayed by the University team was hardly visible to the spectators. A feature of the game was the work of the University wings, who performed the unexpected in out playing their strong opponents, Hills and Cushman. The Tigers' defence was superior to their offence, but the Crimson backs proved the stronger trio. Captain Morgan and Doty not only played a fine defensive game, but they were also Harvard's most brilliant offensive factors. Together they carried the puck down the ice time after time, but Ford, the Princeton goal-keeper, was on the alert and their attacks were in vain. Percy and Curtis, the centres, played a strong game, for the University and although a good many of the former's shots went wild, his fast skating scored the winning goal in the first extra period. Percy seemed a little off his game at the start, but played brilliantly after the first period.

The playing of both teams was very ununiform. On the whole, Princeton gave the better exhibition of team-work, but what the University lacked in this department was made up in speed and stick-work. The University seven's passing and shooting was wild throughout, and the forwards lost several chances to score by getting out of position; but nevertheless Ford was called upon to stop 29 shots, two of which finally got past him, while Wylde, playing an equally spectaculan game, kept a clean slate by knocking down 22 shots.

Princeton felt the loss of W. Humphreys, the regular left wing, who has been out of the game for some time because of an injury. Captain Peacock, Hills, and J. Humphreys were the hard workers for the Tiger seven, Humphreys' work being especially conspicuous. Defensively, he was a tower of strength, and in his dashes down the rink he cleverly outskated the University players. His aim was, however, generally wide of the mark. Hills was fast on the offence, but he found the Crimson backs too heavy for him, and was repeatedly spilled. Peacock put up a sterling game, although in the second period he became over anxious and was twice sent off the ice for tripping.

The playing in, the extra periods was ragged, marked by wild hitting and skating. Finally Percy took the puck from a mix-up, carried it unaided through the Princeton team and, drawing Ford from the cage, drove the rubber past him on a clean shot from the left wing, in 2 minutes and 14 seconds. Shortly after the second extra period started, Humphreys carried the puck down to the University's goal, but lost it in a mix-up to Captain Morgan, who rushed it down6Courtesy of Boston Transcript.SHOT WINNING GOAL IN HARVARD-PRINCETON SERIES G. A. PERCY '18.