THE VALUE OF LOAFING.

The student loafer,--and who is not at least partially one?--would do well just at this time to read William James's essay on "Habit." Man soon becomes a mere walking bundle of habits, he observes; the character of the habits determines the character of the man. And a habit, acquired in the next few days of applying one's self to study at regular intervals for six hours each day will do wonders in removing that probation, or bringing up those grades which must be brought up.

Loafing may be a very good thing or a very bad thing. There are three varieties of loafing. There is that which is unadulterated and continuous, and which soon eliminates one from membership in the University. There is the kind which is mixed with a little work; it is neither work nor play, but a pale concoction of both. This kills efficiency, contentment, and self-respect. Then there is the valuable sort; it is "scientific loafing." It comes in intervals of recuperation and inspiration between hours of concentrated effort. This makes for efficiency; it makes play more enjoyable because earned; and it brings the maximum of happiness: Scientific loafing means also scientific working. And work is not a matter of heroism and of repulsive "grinding." It is a matter of habit,--and of habit not impossible to acquire in these three weeks preceding the midyear examinations.