High Standard of Scholarship Men.

COMMENT

There must be distinct gratification for all the Harvard Clubs of the country in the report, lately issued by the University, that the men whom these clubs send to College on special scholarship funds are on the whole giving and excellent account of themselves. Elsewhere we have had something to say of the fallacy of imagining that high grades achieved in college are always a sure measure of students capabilities. Yet nothing argued on this score can go to defeat the practical truth that men who achieve fairly good rating in college are so acquiring about the most tangible evidence of sincere purpose and consistent work which they could possibly return to the men who are generously paying the expenses of their education. Evidently also the Harvard Clubs of the country have discovered good means of determining who are the deserving, boys of their community. The good reports made of the scholarship men are not all the result of the students' sense of gratitude to their benefactors but must also be explained by honest purpose held and good work done even in advance of their coming to Harvard. Boston Transcript.