WAR NARRATIVE NOW ON SALE

ACCOUNT OF EXPERIENCES OF A. J. GALLISHAW PUBLISHED BY CENTURY CO.

The Century Company has just published and placed on sale "Trenching in Gallipoli," by A. J. Gallishaw Sp. The book, which is dedicated to Professor Copeland, tells of the experiences with the First Newfoundland Regiment in Gallipoli. Gallishaw was studying at the University in the fall of 1914 when he joined the Canadian Cyclists, but when he discovered that they were not going to the front at once, he changed to the Newfoundland Regiment, being a native of that province. In July, 1914, he was transferred to the Record Office at London to take charge of his battalion records. He tired of this inactivity quickly and stowed away on the steamer "Megantic," bound for Gallipoli, carrying the First Newfoundland Regiment.

After leaving Malta, on the fifth day out, he was found and as there was need of a man in the office on board, he was put to work there. On reaching Gallipoli Gallishaw was posted in B Company of the first battalion, which formed part of the Incomparable 29th Division, and went with them to the front some time in August. The battalion numbered 1,100 men when it landed in Gallipoli, but at the end of the campaign had diminished to 175 men.

After three months fighting Gallishaw was wounded on October 23, 1915, by a bullet which entered his left shoulder. He was sent to a hospital in Egypt and was later moved to London. On recovery, in January, he was declared unfit for service and was discharged in consequence of wounds received in action in Gallipoli, after serving 301 days with the colors. At the same time he was given a high testimonial of character by his superior officers. His battalion was recruited to full war strength again, 1,100 men, and was sent to France. On July 1, 1916, there were 800 men left, and this was diminished to 96 after the charge on the Somme.