EXERCISES WILL MARK OPENING

PRESIDENT LOWELL TO DEDICATE NEW FARNSWORTH ROOM IN WIDENER.

President Lowell will dedicate the new Farnsworth Room in the Widener Library at a reception to be held in that room this afternoon at 3 o'clock. Professor Archibald Cary Coolidge '87, director of the University Library, and C. A. Coolidge, Jr., '17, president of the Student Council, will also speak. William Farnsworth '77 and Mrs. Farnsworth, whose gift the room is, will be present at the opening exercises as will the French consul in Boston, M. J. C. Joseph Flamand, Representatives from the various activities in the University have been asked to attend the dedication.

The room is presented to the Library by Mr. and Mrs. Farnsworth in memory of their son, Henry Weston Farnsworth '12, who, early in the war, enlisted in the Foreign Legion fighting for France and was killed at Tahure in the great offensive in Champagne in the fall of 1915. They have given the majority of the books, but some have come from friends of the dead soldier while others are from the library of Franklin Haven '57 and have been presented by his sister, Miss Mary E. Haven.

The library is as yet incomplete but contains most of the best works of English literature, together with the best of foreign literature, history, biography and travel. The room is intended to be a place where those who want to read for the sake of reading may come, leaving the reading room for special college courses to the larger reading rooms.

After the dedicatory exercises the room will be opened to the University as a whole and will thereafter remain open from 9 o'clock in the morning to 10 o'clock at night on week days, and from 1 to 10 o'clock on Sundays.