REGIMENT'S RIFLES DUE THIS WEEK

Guns from Springfield to be Kept in Basement of Smith Halls.

The 1050 rifles ordered for the Regiment from the Springfield, Mass., Armory are expected to arrive in Cambridge some time this week. Work will be started today on the racks which will hold the rifles when not in use. The basemen of one of the Smith Halls will be used as a store-room. This place is considered suitable because it is constructed of cement and kept at a constant temperature which will insure no injury coming to the weapons from dampness. Privates of the Regiment will not be permitted to keep their rifles in their own rooms.

There are not quite enough rifles ordered to supply every member of the Regiment, but this was not an oversight. A number of privates will soon be made minor officers and extra rifles will then have been a needless expense. Officers will buy their own side-arms, if necessary.

The type of rifle ordered is known officially as U. S. magazine rifle, model 1898. More commonly it is termed the Krag-Jorgensen. The model in use in the regular army at present is the Springfield rifle, officially U. S. magazine rifle model 1903.