University of Michigan Has Most Graduates in Congress

The current issue of "The Independent" publishes some interesting figures in regard to the colleges from which have come the present United States Congressmen. Though 28 per cent of the members of the Senate and House are not graduates of any college, nearly 200 institutions are represented by the remaining 380. The University of Michigan, with 27 alumni in Congress, holds the lead, which it has maintained for several years. Virginia is second with 20, and Harvard a close third with 19. The other eight institutions which have more than five representatives are: Yale 13, Wisconsin 10, Alabama 7, Mississippi 7, Missouri 7, Minnesota 6, lowa 6, and Georgia 6. Every one of these institutions, except Harvard and Yale, are state universities, which shows what an important factor in political life these institutions have become. It is equally interesting to observe that such large and important universities as Columbia, Pennsylvania, Cornell, and Princeton have only three of their men in Congress, while Johns Hopkins and Stanford are not represented.