A GRADUATE'S TRIBUTE.

The student at Harvard is likely, from mere familiarity, to forget that he is now enjoying intellectual and moral opportunities for breadth of development which far overshadow any that he will have in the future. The industry, humility, and aspiration which should be his in such surroundings is too often not to be found. The CRIMSON prints the following from a speech by Congressman Clement Brumbaugh '94, delivered recently before the Harvard Club of Washington. Although the style savors of Congressional oratory, there is a sincerity of feeling and truth underlying it.

"I found that the report that Harvard was the college only for the high-brows and the wealthy was false. I cheerfully wave aside the natural feelings of personal reserve to say that Harvard is a place where the poorest can go, where those of the least wealth can go and find a paradise of inspiration and blessing, and find their very souls mounting to higher planes and better things. Who that has walked in the shades of her classic groves can ever still the love that beats in his heart for old Harvard, or ever wants to?

"And so I love to tell of Harvard, the real Harvard, as I found her; the generous Harvard, the liberal Harvard, the sympathetic Harvard, the democratic Harvard, the Harvard of opportunities for the poorest lad in all the land. This is the real Harvard as I came to know her and to love her. The Harvard, the least affected with the false spirit of wealthy aristocracy and snobbery, and the most democratic of our great universities in America; the Harvard, where any poor boy without wealth or social distinction can go, trusting only in the ambition of an honest heart and noble purpose, relying only on his own brain, character and ability, can meet all classes on the common, equal level of privilege and opportunity; be treated as a brother and equal; and thus become inspired with the noblest impulses that can thrill the human soul--the ambition to lift up his head in the sunlight of hope and thank God and take on new courage."