BINGHAM WON 600-YARD RACE

UNIVERSITY CAPTAIN TOOK FAST EVENT IN A. A. U. GAMES SATURDAY.

New York, N. Y., March 19.--The A. A. U. indoor track and field events, held in the 22d Regiment Armory of this city last evening, brought out several of the best performances of the indoor season. From the University Captain W. J. Bingham '16 and W. Willcox, Jr., '17 we entered, the former winning the 600-yard race and the latter securing fourth place in the 300-yard sprint which is an unusual showing, considering the speedy fields that opposed them. The feat of Captain W. J. Bingham was a remarkable one, for he raced the best middle-distance runners in the country. He was hard pressed by Higgins of Holy Cross and Caldwell of the B. A. A., but managed to out-sprint them in the last lap. The time was exceptionally fast, 1 minute 14 2-5 seconds.

In the final heat of the 300-yard race, W. Willcox, Jr., '17 found the field too fast for him. He made a desperate effort to close up on the leaders, but was too tired after a strenuous qualifying heat and finished fourth. Kelly of Holy Cross won in 32 2-5 seconds, with Daisley of the N. Y. A. C. second and Meanix of the B. A. A. third.

The best race of the evening was the 1000-yard event, which was won by J. W. Overton of Yale, who took the event from a wonderful field of runners, equalling the world's indoor record of 2 minutes 15 2-5 seconds for the distance. He led all the way and was followed by Baker of the N. Y. A. C. and Caldwell of the B. A. A.

The B. A. A. defeated the Chicago A. C. in the medley relay race. Loomis of the Chicago A. A. won both the high-jump and the 60-yard dash, equalling the record of 6 2-5 seconds in the latter.