"LAST DAYS."

The announcement that the manuscripts for the Bowdoin and the Garrison prizes are due today emphasizes an undue hardship imposed upon the undergraduate competitor. With his eleventh-hour method of work, he invariably is obliged to exert his efforts to the utmost to complete the manuscript within the required time. But the hour examinations come at this period as spectral interruptions. That he will neglect in the last few days of the competition the essential revision of his manuscript and devote himself to the examinations seems improbable.

To advance the date to March 15 would not be feasible, for it is too soon after the opening of the second term. To postpone the final date to the Saturday immediately preceding the spring recess would enable every competitor to devote sufficient time to the examinations and at the same time would afford him ample opportunity to submit a manuscript worthy of his best efforts. This change would work little hardship upon the Faculty committees, for by a postponement of the announcement of the results to the first week in June a similar amount of time, six weeks, would be at their disposal.