UNIVERSITY TEAM WON EASILY

RAGGED FIELDING BY BATES LED TO DEFEAT BY SCORE OF 11 TO 3.

In a slow and listless game the University baseball team defeated Bates yesterday afternoon by a score of 11 to 3. The team which defeated the Crimson last year by a score of 3 to 2 was weak in every department of the game. The University played errorless ball and made the most of the bases on balls and errors of their opponents. When these breaks came, the University was able to bat out the hits necessary to put the runs across.

For the University, in the second inning, Abbot singled and Percy fouled out to Lord. Beal then singled, advancing Abbot to third. Harvey then passed Reed and Garritt, forcing Abbot across the plate. Purvere replaced Harvey. Nash reached first when Duncan booted his grounder, scoring both Beal and Reed. He was followed by Knowles, who singled, scoring Garritt and advancing Nash to third, where he was left when Harbe fanned.

In the University's half of the third, Abbot led off with a single and was advanced to second when Percy was passed. Beal was thrown out at first by Purvere, but Abbot and Percy were both advanced. Abbot scored on Reed's hit. Garritt was then passed, filling the bases, and on Coolidge's single, Percy and Reed scored.

Two more runs were netted by the University in its half of the fourth. Harte, the first man up, singled and took second when Abbot was out at first. When Davis dropped Percy's fly, Harte scored and Percy took second. Beal fanned. Reed reached first on Hill's error, and Percy advanced to third. On Purvere's wild throw over first, Percy scored.

Hates broke into the run column in the fifth when singles by Marsden, Purvere, and Hill came in quick succession, allowing Marsden to score. In the sixth Bates put her other two runs across. McDonald and Lord both walked, each advancing a base on Davis' scratch hit and scoring on Hill's single. The University scored one more when Percy tripled and scored when Beal went out at first, Hill to Duncan.

The University's last tally came in the seventh when Nash doubled and took third on Knowles' single. Abbot hit to Logan who threw Nash out at the plate, but Knowles scored on a double steal with Reed taking second.

The summary follows:

HARVARD.a.b.  r.  b.h.  p.o.  a.  e.Coolidge, c.f.  3  0  1  2  0  0Wiswall, c.f.  3  0  1  3  0  0Nash, 1b.  5  0  1  10  1  0Knowles, l.f.  5  1  2  0  0  0Harte, c.  4  1  1  4  0  0Safford, c.  1  0  0  0  0  0Abbot, 2b.  4  2  2  4  1  0Percy, r.f.  3  3  1  0  0  0Beal, 3b.  3  1  1  2  2  0Murray, 3b.  1  0  0  1  0  0Reed, s.s.  1  2  0  1  1  0Bothfeld, s.s.  1  0  0  0  2  0Garritt, p.  1  1  0  0  3  0Cummings, p.  1  0  0  0  3  0  -  -  -  -  -  -Total,  37  11  10  27  13  0BATES.a.b.  r.  b.h.  p.o.  a.  e.Duncan, 2b.  5  0  3  3  0  2Logan, 3b.  3  0  0  0  1  2McDonald, s.s.  2  1  0  1  2  0Lord, c.  2  1  0  11  1  0Davis, c.f.  4  0  0  0  0  1Marsden, l.f.  4  1  1  2  0  0Harvey, p.  1  0  0  1  1  0Purvere, p.  2  0  1  0  0  1Hill, 1b.  4  0  2  6  3  1Davidson, r.f.  4  0  0  0  0  0*Talbot  0  0  0  0  0  0  -  -  -  -  -  -Total,  31  3  7  24  8