MENORAH SOCIETY PICKS CAST FOR BOOK OF JOB

Play in Celebration of Decennial to be Presented in Greek Method on May 8.

As the chief feature of its decennial celebration, the Menorah Society will present a dramatized version of the Bible story of Job, entitled, like that book, "The Book of Job," in Jordan Hall on Monday, May 8, at 8.30 o'clock.

The cast for this play, which has been chosen from among members of the Society by a series of competitive trials, will be made up as follows: Satan,  M. Roth '17 Job,  W. M. Silverman '18 Bildad,  L. S. Levy '17 Zophar,  W. Hettleman Eliphaz,  J. Auslander '17 Elihu,  D. Lewis '16 Voice out of the Whirlwind,  H. Epstein '16 Choregus,  J. Watchmaker '16

Chorus: A. Bornstein '19, D. Finkelstein '18, H. Friedman '16, M. Fryefield '19, W. W. Gross '16, N. M. Geddiman '17, M. M. Glick '16, B. J. Ginsberg '17, A. E. Marks '17, S. E. Rothchild '17, L. A. Thumin '17, J. Bower '19, J. F. Schwartz '17.

"The Book of Job" has been performed before, but never in this section of the United States. The book was restored for dramatic production by Dr. Horace Meyer Kallen '03, whose belief it is that the book was originally written for dramatic production and so presented in Greek form.

S. A. Eliot, Jr., '13, a grandson of President Eliot, has charge of the production. Mr. Eliot is a player in the Bandbox Theatre, New York, and has had considerable experience in the production of Euripidean tragedies in Indianapolis, which fit him for this undertaking. The scenery and costumes were designed by Mr. C. Raymond Johnson, art director of the Little Theatre, of Chicago.

The following committee is in charge of the production: A. N. Levin '14, manager; C. Rowe '17, assistant manager; H. Dana '18, A. M. Sonnabend '18, M. Glick '16, J. Berns '18, and L. Schneider '17.

Although given in English, "The Book of Job" is presented in the Grecian manner, as the presence of the Greek choregus and chorus in the cast indicate. There is a prologue and an epilogue recited by the choregus, who is the leader of the chorus during the progress of the drama. Settings for the play are designed in the modern fashion, patterned to some extent after those used by Granville Barker in his production of Euripides' "The Trojan Women" in the Stadium a year ago.

The play deals with the problem of the punishment of the innocent and the security and immunities of the wicked. It attempts to solve the problem through the sufferings of Job but gives up in despair.