FENCING CHAMPIONSHIPS IN UNION

University, Novice, and Freshman Titles to be Contested Next Week.

W. H. Russell '18, captain of the University fencing team, and J. McLaughlin '11, captain of the team in 1911, both qualified for the finals in the National Duelling Sword championship, in the preliminaries in New York, last Wednesday evening. Both Russell and McLaughlin were eliminated from the contest for the foils championship.

A fencing competition for the University, Novice, and Freshman championships will be held next Monday and Tuesday. The preliminaries will be held in the Fencing Room of the Hemenway Gymnasium, next Monday, at 3 o'clock. The finals will be held in the Living Room of the Union next Tuesday evening at 8 o'clock. Any student of the University, in regular standing, as an undergraduate, graduate, or unclassified student is eligible for the University championship. Any such student who has not fenced for more than two years is eligible for the Novice Championship. Any member of the Freshman class is eligible for the Freshman Championship. A cup will be awarded to the winner of each of the three championships. For the University and Novice Championships, cups have been offered by the Athletic Association. The Freshman championship trophy will be the Roberts Cup, given by P. B. Roberts '14, which is offered this year for the first time.

Blue-books have been placed at Leavitt & Peirce's, and competitors must sign up by next Monday, at noon. Contestants for the University and Novice cups, who are not members of the Harvard Fencers Club, will have to pay an entry fee of $1 per man.