ON THE LAW.

Since Dean Langdell founded the case system at the Law School about half a century ago and built up the school's reputation and instruction, there has been a large growth of law schools throughout the country. Some of them spring up, like mushrooms, over night, and merely cram men to pass bar examinations. Others are bona fide legal institutions, wielding considerable influence in making the law the technical and social profession which it should be. But with all this growth of other institutions--most of them using the Langdell system--the University Law School has grown in strength and reputation. Its popularity is attested by the large number of its students--more than half--who are graduates from the colleges of the West and South. Every Harvard graduating class sends dozens of men to the school. Recently twenty-nine Yale seniors announced their intention of attending the Harvard Law School.

And among these men who go to the Law School in such numbers are a large percentage of the ablest college graduates. The reason for this lies partly in the appeal of the lawyer's career, and partly in the character of the work. It is known to be exacting, analytic, and to develop ability to think and concentrate. It gives the formerly weak-willed undergraduate who stands the test a grip on himself; and whether a man practices or not, testimony is ample that the law training is of inestimable value. Hence a student who is in doubt will make no mistake by spending a year or two or three in the Law School. Dean Pound's talk tonight in Phillips Brooks House will undoubtedly be illuminating on these matters.