HEALTH OFFICER SCHOOL VALUABLE INSTITUTION

Sixty Courses to be Offered by Faculty of University and Technology Next Year.

The School for Health Officers conducted by the University in conjunction with the Massachusetts Institute of Technology has just issued its catalogue for 1916-17, which contains announcement of the enlarged list of courses which will be offered next year.

The principal object of the school is to prepare young men for public health work and especially to fit them to occupy administrative and executive positions, as health officers, or members of boards of health, or secretaries, agents, or inspectors of health organizations. To this end, lectures, laboratory work, and other forms of instruction are offered by both institutions, and by special instructors from national, state, and local health agencies. The subjects embraced in the courses of study have been selected to cover a wide range, including medical, biological, hygienic and engineering sciences, together with practical health administration.

The opportunities for the practical study of the arts of public sanitation offered to students of the School for Health Officers are exceptional. The city of Boston is an important port of entry for foreign and domestic shipping and for immigration, and has fifty or more separate and independent municipalities in its immediate vicinity, while the state of Massachusetts is a community which has long been recognized as standing in the forefront of American commonwealths in almost all aspects of the science and practice of public health. To the advantages of location are added the resources of the University and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.

Sixty courses of study will be given next year by a faculty of fifty members. These courses are divided into ten groups dealing with various phases of sanitation problems. The departments of public health administration and sanitary biology and chemistry are among the strongest departments of the school.

The Certificate in Public Health (C. P. H.) will be granted to candidates who have satisfactorily completed the studies in their approved schedule, who have spent not less than one academic year in residence, and who have otherwise complied with all requirements.