J. W. HUBBELL WON GOLF TITLE FOR UNIVERSITY

Team Lost to Princeton In Final Round of Intercollegiate Tournament

By defeating D. C. Corkran of Princeton, one up, J. W. Hubbell, '17, of the University Golf team, won the individual intercollegiate golf championship on the links of the Oakmont Country Club Pittsburg, Pa. Corkran was four up on Hubbell at the end of the morning round. When the match was resumed in the afternoon, the Tiger player won the first two, but the two following were halved, leaving Corkran six up. Hubbell won the next six holes, squaring the match. The Princeton man won the 11th and 13th, but the University player took the 12th, as well as the 14th, 15th and 10th, making two up on Corkran. The next hole was won by Corkran with a putt of 30 feet, and the final one was halved, giving the University player the match by a score of one up.

Hubbell had previously got into the finals by defeating H. Maxwell, of Princeton, and C. L. Weems, captain of the Illinois team.

Taking every match from the University Golf team in the final round, Princeton won the intercollegiate team championship. The University golfers had reached the finals by defeating Cornell, while Princeton had come through with a victory over Yale. The match with the Ithacans was a one-sided affair, the University capturing all of the doubles and five of the six singles, making the score 8 to 1. The Princeton-Yale contest was closely contested. The Tigers finally triumphing by a single point, when H. Maxwell, of Princeton, holed a fifteen-foot putt on the eighteenth green or a victory over F. Blossom, the former intercollegiate champion.

In the final match with the University golfers, D. Herron and H. Maxwell defeated Captain L. H. Canan, '17, and F. I. Amory, '17, 5 and 3, while D. C. Corkran and H. Gernnell won from J. I. Wylde, '17, and L. M. Lombard, 6 and 5.

P. Herron and W. A. Lowrie, the Princeton captain, and a close match with J. W. Hubbe '17, and W. A. Flagg, '19. Going out Lowrie was playing the golf for the Princeton pair, getting a 39, at which point he and his partner were one up. The match was squared on the sixteenth, where Herron had a birdie three and the seventeenth was halved with the match all even, playing the eighteenth Herron was on the green in 3 and the holed a fifteen-foot putt for a birdie 4 and the match.

In the single matches Corkran, of Princeton, semi-finalist in the National at Merion, and Hubbell put up the most interesting game. Corkran finally winning two and one.