Crimson's Choice of 'Comment' Criticized.

Communication

(We invite all men in the University to submit communications on subjects of timely interest, but assume no responsibility for sentiments expressed under this head.)

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:--

The article on Professor Bertrand Russell which you copied from the Transcript yesterday on your editorial page shows a lack of appreciation of his standpoint and principles which that paper might be expected to show, but which will not be permitted to stand as the opinion of the Harvard undergraduate body. For our nation--if any--should be capable of understanding Professor Russell's internationalism: it is we who are rightfully more and more assuming the attitude of champions of human rights as opposed to those of any one nation. Let us get rid of the old idea, which was so rapidly, passing over Europe before the war, except among the militarists, that political power exists merely to further the commercial and other selfish interests of one's own country. Professor Russell in adopting this view takes what might almost be called the American attitude, the attitude which explains the Monroe Doctrine and the giving of autonomy to Cuba. Let it not be in this country that he be criticized for holding it.

The statement of opinion by the Transcript that Russell ought to forget his principles and muzzle their expression at the very moment when they are most needed over the whole world, and when their truth is most clearly manifested is highly unbecoming to an American newspaper; and the reproduction in the CRIMSON of such views, unaccompanied by their repudiation, is much to be regretted. W. B. SOUTHWORTH, '18.