TRACK COMPETITIONS IN CAGE

CUPS AWARDED AT END OF SEASON TO WINNERS IN WEEKLY CONTESTS.

The first competition in the field events will be held in the cage this afternoon at 2.45 o'clock. The only event on the schedule today is the shot put, but the others will be started later in the week and will become a part of the regular competitions which will take place every Monday throughout the winter. The University and Freshman candidates will compete separately in each event and cups will be awarded at the end of the season for the most consistent performers. There will be two cups in each event, one for the best average and one for the best handicap record.

Short Relay Team Developing.

The University short distance relay team is gradually getting into condition. Captain Teschner is a dependable man and sure of his position, while H. W. Minot '17 and W. Willcox '17 made excellent times in the trials last Saturday.

Freshman Runners Mediocre.

The Freshman squad does not present many possibilities for a successful relay team. With the exception of B. S. Blanchard, Jr., '20, who was captain of the Volkmann track team last year, there are no men who have made especially fast records in the time trials.

Training Table for Relay Men.

The training table for the University short and long distance relay teams will start today at 1 o'clock at the Varsity Club. Only seven men will compose it at first, but the number will be gradually increased as Coach Donovan picks out the most promising men from his squad. The seven who will report this noon are Captain Teschner, Minot, Rose, Rowse and Willcox of the short distance team, and J. Coggeshall '18 and J. D. Hutchinson '19.