THE AVERAGE MAN'S CHANCE.

The present time is a great opportunity for the man of average physical development. Up to now the effort and interest of colleges have been centered in the turning out of successful university teams. This has side-tracked the physical training of all but the natural athletes.

With the war has come a far-reaching change in these conditions. For some years there has been a wish for less centralization in college athletics; now this wish has been partially fulfilled and everyone has an equal chance. The fields the track, and the river are here as before; the coaches and the equipment are here, but now they are here to help everyone, the athlete and him who aspires as well. To be a successful soldier one must have strength and endurance, but no more than the ordinary man can obtain if he takes part in some form of sport.

When intensely centralized athletics have been abandoned for athletics which open the field to everyone, may we not think that after the war the return to the old form may meet with some disfavor? If the present state of things is more beneficial in war, it is probable this would also be true in peace.

The desired change has come. If the average man takes advantage of it and proves its value to him, it may be permanent.