NAVAL RESERVE WANTS 2000 MEN

Second District Once More Opened for Enlisting Recruits.

After having been closed to enlistment for some time, the Naval Reserve Force of the Second Naval District is now open for 2000 recruits. All men desiring to be enrolled should, if possible, present themselves personally before the enrolling officer at the Naval War College, Newport, R. I., for physical and mental examination, or else at one of the Naval Reserve Recruiting Stations located at Providence, R. I., Brooklyn, N. Y., or Newark, N. J.

Originally there were 5000 men enrolled in the Second Naval District Service, but owing to the high standard of the training, the district has been drawn upon heavily to supply men for various other branches of the naval service. Those interested in wireless telegraphy have been sent to the Radio School established at the University; other men have been ordered to the Merchant Marin; still others to Annapolis or to the Ensign School at the University for training for officers' commissions.

Every week examinations are held for those members of the force who desire to improve their ratings, covering nearly every field of technical work. Men with any mechanical or nautical experience are particularly well qualified for these tests.

Applicants are accepted only for general service, and no men will be enrolled higher than chief petty officer. Those who enlist and remain in the seaman branches of the service will probably be used on the 110-foot scout boats, on transports, or on the convoy vessels of the Navy as soon as their period of training has come to an end.