NEW LECTURE SERIES PLANNED

LOWELL INSTITUTE WILL OFFER FIVE COURSES AFTER NEW YEAR'S

The Lowell Institute has announced its second series of lectures consisting of five courses of talks by prominent men from American universities. Two of these, bearing directly upon the war, will be given by Thomas S. Adams, Professor of Political Economy in Yale University, on "The Economics of War"; and by Edwin B. Wilson '99, Professor of Mathematical Physics in the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, on "The Principles of Aeronautics." The other three will be on "Convention, Originality and Revolt in Poetry," by John L. Lowes, recently appointed Professor of English in the University; on "Food, Money and Trade in the Great Wars of a Century Ago," by Henry Bourne, Professor of History in Western Reserve University; and on "The United States and its Sections, 1830-1850," by Frederick J. Turner, Litt.D. '09, member of the Massachusetts Historical Society.

The first two courses are described in detail below. The first one will be a series of eight lectures by Professor Lowes on "Convention, Originality and Revolt in Poetry." (1) The Roots of Convention. (2) The Ways of Convention. (3) Originality and the Moulding of Conventions. (4) The Hardening of Conventions, and Revolt. (5) The Diction of Poetry vs. Poetic Diction. (6) Rhyme, Metre and "Vers Libre." (7) The Incursions of Prose and the Vogue of the Fragmentary. (8) The Anglo-Saxon Tradition. These lectures will be given on Mondays and Thursdays at 5 o'clock, beginning Monday, January 7.

The second course will consist of eight lectures by Professor Bourne on "Food, Money and Trade in the Great Wars of a Century Ago." (1) The Menace of Famine in France in 1793. (2) Price-fixing and the Reign of Terror. (3) France Bankrupt but Victorious in 1797. (4) Makers of the Napoleonic Regime. (5) Fate of Napoleon's "Immense Project." (6) Freedom of the Seas in Napoleon's Day. (7) Napoleon and the United States. (8) A Panic in the Grand Empire. On Tuesdays and Fridays at 8 o'clock, beginning Tuesday, January 22.

All these lectures will be given in Huntington Hall, 491 Boylston street. The admittance is free, but by ticket only. Tickets may be obtained upon application to the Curator of the Lowell Institute in Huntington Hall by enclosing a stamped and addressed envelope for each ticket desired.