AN IMPORTANT PRODUCTION

The first presentation to the American public of the work of Johann Sigurjonsson by the 47 Workshop in Jordan Hall tonight is full of significance. This play, "Eywind of the Hills," based as it is upon the life and customs of Iceland, introduces a novel note into the American theatre. The play had its first representation in Copenhagen only a few years ago, and never before has any play by this new writer been produced in this country.

The public performance of this play indicates the wide scope of activity of the 47 Workshop. Though designed primarily as a laboratory for the testing by actual production of the plays written in Professor Baker's courses on the drama, it also aims to give any unusual or important dramatic pieces which the public would not ordinarily have the opportunity of seeing. The present play was felt to be such a work. The significance of its production is enlarged by the fact that the play was undertaken at the request of the American-Scandinavian Foundation, of which Professor W. H. Schofield has recently become the president. This foundation was established with a considerable endowment in 1911 for the purpose of cultivating closer relations, largely through educational and intellectual intercourse, between the Scandinavian countries and the United States. It has already accomplished much in producing a better mutual understanding between our own country and Norway, Sweden and Denmark. It is well that Harvard is taking an active part in this work which will bring us into closer contact with the countries of northern Europe.