VOLUNTARY TRAINING AT CORNELL

Seniors at Yale About to be Commissioned Relieved From Further Work.

A system of voluntary military training has been installed at Cornell University, in addition to the Reserve Officers' Training Corps and the Cadet Corps already established there. The purpose is to assist a larger number of students to qualify for officers in a shorter time. The drill will be offered three times a day in periods of three hours each.

Already 575 Cornell undergraduates have registered for service with the Government. Of these 320 have enrolled with the Navy, 107 with the Army, 50 with the American Ambulance Corps, and others in the industrial branches of the army.

Two Groups at Yale.

At Yale two groups of training have been formed, one going through physical exercises on the campus each morning and the other taking up the regular military drill. The course in military science consists of instruction lectures three nights a week, in addition to the drill.

Other measures planned to meet the circumstances arising from the international situation have been adopted by the Yale faculty. Seniors with good scholastic standing who are about to receive commissions in the army will be given diplomas without further academic work.

A new course in aviation, open to members of the University who have registered for army aviation service, has been started at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Professor Klemin, head of the department of aeronautical research at the Institute, has charge of the class. The course will consist of 16 lectures, extending through a period of eight weeks and coming at 5 o'clock in the afternoon on Mondays and Thursdays.

The instruction to be given will be concerned with a thorough practice in the theory of an airplane, and the men who have taken the course will be much better qualified for actual flying when they are assigned a position in the service. A portion of the new aviation field at Squantum will be set aside this summer for men in the course who have entered the service, and the opportunity for experience in flying will thus be given.

Any member of the University who has enlisted in the aviation corps can attend the lectures of the course in Building 3. Room 270, at Technology every Monday and Thursday afternoon at 5 o'clock.