ARTILLERY COMPANY FORMS

MEMBERS OF UNIVERSITY GIVEN CHANCE TO ENROLL IN NEW TROOP.

Members of the University are given another opportunity to enlist in a national military organization as a headquarters company is to be formed for the new Second Massachusetts Field Artillery of the National Guard. A special detail of 90 men is needed, and 50 more enlistments are necessary to bring the company to full strength.

On a headquarters company of the field artillery falls the important duty of keeping intact the communication lines between the battalions and the necessary reconnoitering before the appointed batteries begin their fire. Men who intend to enlist in this branch of the service are to report at the State Armory at Lawrence tonight at 8 o'clock. The applicants will be given their physical examination, and if accepted will be sworn into national service. The men taken will drill once a week until July 25, when the regiments will go into intensive training. It is practically understood that this division will be among the first to leave for France when the country begins to send the first 500,000.

No experience is required from those who enlist for the new company, but a sound heart and good eyesight are both essential. Each man will be given a single mount in the field and if a third regiment is organized many will undoubtedly be made non-commissioned officers. Preliminary instruction includes the teaching of the different codes, semaphoring, wig-wagging, the making of maps and the reconnoitering necessary to find the position of hostile batteries.