130 NOW IN JUNIOR COMPANY

SPRINGFIELDS NOW IN PLACE OF OLD KRAGS.--SIXTEEN FULL SQUADS.

The junior company of the S. A. T. C. has been organized for four weeks, and is under the command of Lieutenant J. E. Daniel, U. S. A. Uniforms and rifles were distributed the first week after organization, the company in this respect preceding the senior corps. The uniforms used by the R. O. T. C. last year were the ones issued, and were of course without charge to the men receiving them. Shoes, gloves, and overcoats, however, are bought by each member. The style of overcoat has not yet been decided upon. Hat cords, the same red, white, and blue of the senior S. A. T. C., are expected to be furnished, but men may provide themselves. No insignia will be used to distinguish the company.

In Uniform From 7 to 10 O'Clock.

At present there are 130 men in the company, including Captain Rogers, Lieutenants Sargent and Brown, nine sergeants, 16 corporals, 101 privates, and a bugler. Uniforms, unless specially authorized, are worn only from the first formation at seven in the morning until a time not later than ten in the morning. The daily program begins with a formation at seven o'clock, from which the men march to breakfast at the Union, and is followed by a drill period from 8 to 9.20, except on Saturdays, when section meetings are held during the hour beginning at 8.20. The company is organized with a system of demerits, tardiness counting as one demerit, absence as three, insubordinate conduct as five, and other unmeritorious conduct as much as the Commanding Officer sees fit. Nine demerits are allowed in a month.

Still in Close Formation.

The Company is living up to the high standards which have been laid down during the past three years and has put in a lot of solid work. During the past five weeks the weather has been such that not a single day of drill has been missed and the men have reached the "school of the company." The drilling is still in close formation.

Age Only Obstacle.

All told there are 16 full squads. Some thirty-eight to forty of the men have had previous military training, of whom about twenty-five had experience in the R. O. T. C. of last year and the Harvard Summer Camp. But for these, all the men are new at it, but show every inclination to develop some well trained men, who can take their places in the army when the unsurmountable obstacle of age has been removed.

Model 1966 Springfields.

All the Kraggs which have been taken away are now replaced by Springfields of the model of 1866. These rifles it seems are the property of Harvard College and have been since the Spanish-American war, but were loaned to the city of Boston and to the state guard in whose hands, they have been until very recently when recalled for the use of the Junior S. A. T. C.

Stationary with S. A. T. C. and Naval Unit headings may be obtained free of charge at the Philips Brooks House.