GERMAN INDUSTRY COMMAN DEERED

Congress, in passing a bill allowing the Government to seize all German-owned industries in this country, has struck a decisive blow against enemy capital. Its practical advantage is manifestly great. Many of the firms making material for war purposes are German-owned; it would be hard to believe that the owners have not often tried and have been able to slow up their production. With these firms in American hands they can be run to their highest efficiency and help considerably to swell the tide of supplies that must in the end overcome Prussian power. The opportunities for spies will be greatly curtailed; under German ownership many of these spies were doubtless protected, but American possession will help drive them out.

This measure has been found to be legal. A treaty of 1799 with Prussia stated that if war were declared between the United States and Prussia, merchants of both countries should have nine months to settle their affairs and leave. Those nine months have now expired. No one, if he remembers the destruction of American property on the high seas, can say that we are grabbing what we can from a defence-less enemy. The argument that their industries should not be returned until this property is paid for is certainly convincing.