COMMISSION 130 AT ENSIGN SCHOOL HERE

EXERCISES IN SANDERS

Thursday afternoon at 3 o'clock the graduation exercises for the cadets in the Ensign School of the First Naval District will be held in Sanders Theatre. President Lowell and Admiral Spencer S. Wood of the First Naval District have been announced as the principal speakers for the occasion. One hundred and thirty men, who have successfully completed the four months' training course, will be awarded commissions. Approximately 25 of this number were formerly students at the University.

Lieutenant-Commander Charles B. Lundy, U. S. N., who was made commandant of the Cadet School during the present term to succeed Captain James P. Parker '96, N. N. V., will deliver the farewell address. As yet none of the speakers have announced their subjects.

The exercises will be opened with a short prayer by Professor Edward C. Moore, chairman of the Board of Preachers at the University. President Lowell will then deliver his address to the graduates. He will be followed by Admiral Wood, who will award the diplomas, and Commander Lundy, who will conclude the exercises with his talk. Arrangements have been made to provide music between the various speeches.

154 Began Course in February.

One hundred and fifty-four members began this course of the Naval Cadet School, which is the second session of the school at the University. Last October the Ensign School was moved from M. I. T., where 50 students had attended its summer session. About 150 men started the first course at the University last fall and of their number 122 were graduated.

New Term Begins June 18.

During the present term several new officers have been detailed to Cambridge for the Ensign School and a new commander has been appointed. It is probable that there will be a much larger number of students at the next session which opens June 18. All men who qualify for the summer course will have had to have at least two months' previous training as second class seamen in the Navy. Twelve students of the University were given special recommendations by President Lowell last April and went into training during the spring recess. They have since spent their time at the Wakefield Naval Rifle Range and at Bumpkin Island. A number of other members of the University who were not specially recommended will attend the summer session.