BOWDOIN PRIZE WON BY BRINTON

Double First Award of $500 Given For Excellent Essay.

Clarence Crane Brinton '19, of Springfield, has been awarded a double first prize of $500 in the Bowdoin Prize Essay Competition for the present college year. This is the first time since the Bowdoin Prize was founded in the 18th century that such an award has been made. The extraordinary excellence of Brinton's essay on "Acton's Philosophy of History" led the committee of judges to grant him this honor.

Three other prizes were given to undergraduates in the competition as follows: one of $100 to Martin Luther Hope '19, of Eldorado, Mo., for an essay entitled "Thomas Hardy"; one of $50 to Carl Schmalz '19, of Huntly, Ill., whose subject was "The Fur Trade (1600-1700)"; and a third of $50 to Robert Pierce Casey '19, of Dorchester, who wrote on "The Fatherhood of God in the Teaching of Jesus."

In the graduate competition prizes amounting to $200 were presented to B. C. Clough '11, J. I. Lindsay '10, N. J. Silberling '14 and V. S. Ram ocC. Honorable mention in the undergraduate competition was given to the following: J. Auslander ocC, R. T. Catterall '18, J. Davis '19, H. Henderson ocC, J. Israelite '20, J. M. Rosenberg '19, M. Smith '19, L. M. Swope '18 and H. Wise '18.