REACHED NO DECISION ON QUESTION OF "H"

DEANS MEET IN N. Y.

At last night's meeting of the Athletic Committee it was voted to refer the question of the awarding of the "H" this year to the graduate and undergraduate members of the Committee. As the only two of the six specified members were present at the meeting, it was necessary to postpone any action until the others could be reached. There will be no meeting, as R. E. Gross '19 and N. S. Walker '20 are absent in the service, but letters will be sent to them and a decision reached as soon as possible. Those of the Athletic Committee present decided to place the entire matter in the hands of the graduates and undergraduate members and to stand back of any action they may take.

Before referring the matter, the Committee discussed the question and considered the recommendations of the Student Council that a war-time "H" of slightly smaller size be given to all members of major and minor teams who should be considered eligible for insignia by the Council. Dean Briggs, Dean Yeomans, Captain F. J. Moore '93, C. H. Pennypacker '88, of the Boston Latin School, and A. F. Tribble '19, the five members present, decided that no decision could now be made, as Tribble was the only undergraduate member attending. The men in whose hands the question of giving insignia now rests are R. F. Herrick '90, chairman of the Rowing Committee; Benjamin L. Young '07, of Boston; Dunham Jackson '08, Assistant Professor of Mathematics; R. E. Gross '19; A. F. Tribble '19; and N. S. Walker '20.

To Subordinate Fall Sports.

The Athletic Committee also took up the question of the status of athletics in the fall. The meeting had been called in order that Dean Briggs might get an idea of the general opinion of the members. He leaves this morning to confer in New York with Dean Corwin of Yale and Dean McClenahan of Princeton.

The attitude of the University on fall sports is still very uncertain and it is improbable that any definite action can be taken until autumn. All the members agreed, however, that athletics must be subordinated to the work of the R. O. T. C. Since little is now known about the number of hours which must be devoted to the military in the fall the Committee has no basis on which to work.

Important Meeting in New York.

At tonight's meeting in New York Dean Briggs will learn the attitude of Yale and Princeton towards fall sport. Princeton is contemplating an enlarged military program, but whether this will make her unable to participate in athletic contests cannot yet be determined.