"CAPTAIN" SHANNON.

To those of us who knew Lieutenant-Colonel James A. Shannon--"Captain" Shannon--the account of the last chapters in his life, brings home only too sharply a sense of a very great loss. Our memories carry us back to the time when he was the idol of every member of the Harvard R. O. T. C.

The University owes much to Colonel Shannon. His personality impressed itself strongly on the minds of the men who served under him in the summer of 1917. From him they learned the lesson that a real officer must be, at one time, strict and kind and just. They learned that a real officer holds his speech until he has something to say, but on such occasions, speaks with remarkable clearness and force. And, lastly, they learned that a real officer must be at all times a gentleman. He furnished a concrete example for them to follow while their minds were yet in a plastic state in regard to life in the Army.

The debt which the University and the old R. O. T. C. owes him is great--it would be fitting to partially repay it, should a suitable means be found.