CREDIT OR DISCREDIT.

In an article recently published in the "Boston Globe," the Faculty of the University was rather bitterly criticized for their alleged refusal to give academic credit to those men who entered the service. The boys "skipped their classes without even saying good-bye to their professors" and now the wicked Faculty refuses to grant them recognition of the education gained in the "world of men." Such action is "unthinkable," according to the "Globe."

But before agreeing or disagreeing with this terrible indictment of our cold-blooded masters, let us examine a little more closely the nature of a university degree. That degree certifies that one has done a certain amount of work according to the standards set by the university. That an undergraduate did a noble thing in joining the colors does not alter the fact that he did not complete the requirements for a diploma.

A parallel to this can be found by taking the case of a man in business. He enlists or is drafted into the service. When he returns, his old position is waiting for him. That is the job he knows. He isn't suddenly pushed ahead without further experience. What a business concern does, the University is doing. She is welcoming back her sons in their old positions, not shoving them forward to ones which would be unfair both to them and herself.

But there is one field in which credit is due, namely, Military Science. If the Faculty were in this subject to give credit based upon the length of service of the man in question, we are sure that every undergraduate would be satisfied.