MUST REPAY DEBT TO SOCIETY SAYS PETERS

OTHERS ADDRESS MEETING

"In undertaking this social service work I want you to feel the spirit that animated Roosevelt," said Mayor Andrew J. Peters '95, of Boston, to about 100 undergraduates interested in social service work at Phillips Brooks House last evening. "He would have thrown himself heart and soul into such work as this. . . . All of you who take' advantage of the opportunity to become associated with this work will never regret having undertaken it. It is up to us who have had special advantages of education to repay our debt to society by doing our part, and I know that Harvard men are going to make their contribution." Mr. Peters concluded his speech with a tribute to Colonel Roosevelt's remarkable comradeship and personality.

Mr. Charles F. Ernst '08, formerly in charge of the South Bay Union, then told of his experiences with boys' clubs, characterizing social service work as a "revelation into the art of leadership." He said that it was perhaps harder than military service in that the ultimate purpose was not so clear, and urged men to take it up in order to learn the real secret of life--service. "Social welfare work is a laboratory for working out ideas conceived in the classroom here."

W. W. McLeod '19 explained the nature of the work that is now being done in rehabilitating disabled soldiers. He gave an account of some interesting experiences of his own in this work at Camp Devens and elsewhere.

The Social Service Secretary, E. B. Schwulst '19, mentioned the opportunities open to members of the University in boys' clubs, scout troops, and teaching.

The meeting was in charge of G. C. Barclay '19, chairman of the Social Service Committee.

Cabinet Meeting Held.

Before the meeting, a session of the Phillips Brooks House Cabinet was held at which the report of the War Cabinet was read. The work done during the fall showed commendable achievement considering war conditions. The officers of the regularly elected Cabinet are R. S. Emmet '19, president; J. G. Coolidge '20, vice-president; E. A. McCouch '20, secretary; D. C. Hawkins '20, treasurer. Officers of the War Cabinet were R. H. Howe '19, president; J. M. Steele, Jr., '21, vice-president; E. C. Storrow, Jr., '21, secretary; and E. L. Peirson, Jr., '21, treasurer