A FIELD ARTILLERY UNIT.

The announcement that the University is definitely to have a Field Artillery Unit is a welcome solution of the military problem. The success of artillery training at Yale has been well established in the war, and moreover many men from other colleges have proved themselves capable artillery officers. This result is not unexpected for it is well appreciated that college men are best suited to perform the specialized duties and complete the exacting training demanded by this branch of the service.

In addition to the suitability of artillery to the college man it is especially adapted to the peculiar problem of military training at the colleges themselves. The curriculum of the artillery runs more nearly parallel to the academic program than does that of infantry or any other arm. There is enough technical and theoretical knowledge to be learned to keep several courses going throughout the year. With sufficient classroom work to be undertaken, winter drills under adverse conditions would not be necessary in order to keep the military system intact. This is perhaps the most important factor in adapting artillery to the exigencies of the college situation.

The Unit needs careful preparation and organization. It also requires and deserves the hearty approval of the undergraduate body. We hope that the preliminary arrangements to be made this week by Colonel Goetz will start the military ball rolling so that in the fall artillery training may be successfully launched in the University.