FIRST HOCKEY SCRIMMAGE OF YEAR HELD YESTERDAY

Many New Candidates Reported to Coach Gross.--Second Practice Under Good Ice Conditions.

Informal scrimmages were held yesterday by both the University and Freshman hockey teams. The University players scrimmaged during the entire time of their practice, two teams being chosen at random by Coach R. E. Gross '19. Each candidate was given a chance on one of the teams.

The second day of the hockey season started under very favorable conditions. The ice was much better than on Monday and great enthusiasm was shown. More candidates for both the Freshman and University teams reported for practice. All of last year's Freshman team took part in the scrimmage of the University teams. The Freshman teams of 1920 and 1921 were also represented.

The Freshmen practiced from 2.15 to 3.15. For the first part of the afternoon Coach Gross had every player take a turn at playing the position for which he is competing. There was then practice in shooting goals and defense work. During the scrimmage several very promising candidates for the 1922 seven were discovered. A practice game with some outside team will be arranged for Saturday.