FOREIGN TRADE CHAIR CREATED FOR ROORBACH

HUNTINGTON A PROFESSOR

In pursuance of its established policy of recognizing the close relation between the theory of trade and the practical commercial problems of today, the Graduate School of Business Administration announced last night the appointment of George Byron Roorbach to fill the newly-created position of professor of foreign trade.

So far as is known, this is the first time in the history of American Universities that any school has organized such a chair.

Professor Roorbach who was graduate of Colgate University in 1903, is an expert on commercial conditions throughout the world. He was for seven years a professor of commercial geography at the University of Pennsylvania, leaving his position in 1915 to travel on a commission in South America for the Carnegie Endowment, for the purpose of making an exhaustive study of trade conditions.

Colleague of Dean Gay.

During the war Professor Roorbach was associated with former Dean E. F. Gay in work on the U. S. Shipping Board. Since the armistice, as chairman of the Governmental Committee on the Revision and Classification of Trade Statitics, he has been engaged in the tremendous task of devising a new system of trade statistics for the United States of the American business man.

Huntington Appointed Professor.

It has also been announced by the University that Edward Vermilye Huntington '95 has been appointed as Professor of Mechanics in the Engineering School. This appointment comes as the reward of many years of service on the teaching staff of the University, Professor Huntington having worked his way up to his new position, in the mean time receiving his A. M. from the University and his Ph. D. at Strassbourg in 1901. During the war he served as a major on the General Staff in Washington.