ART AND THE "BLOODY SHIRT."

The American Legion is not making itself popular by the stand several of its posts have taken against the appearance of Fritz Kreisler, the Austrian violinist. In constituting itself a dictator of artistic productions it allies itself against the very principles for which it fought. By its virtual prohibition of Mr. Kreisler's playing it takes an attitude that is Prussian in essence, and diametrically contrary to real Americanism. There is nothing un-American or unpatriotic in listening to great music. Art transcends international boundaries -- a thing is beautiful whether it is American, or German, or Czecho-Slovakian, in its origin. Mr. Kreisler, while he is Austrian and fought three months against Russia, being honorably discharged after wounded in defence of his country, is a genius of high calibre. His mastery of the violin places him among the first players of modern times, and no one has a right, even under the guise of rampant patriotism, to prevent people enjoying the pleasure of hearing him.

Mr. Kreisler has always scrupulously obeyed the laws of this nation. He left the Austrian army some time before we declared war on that empire. Large parts of his earnings have been devoted to the upkeep of a home for indigent artists and musicians, and until recently he sent money to several British and French officers--musicians and artists--who were held in Austria. It is not unlikely, as he himself points out, that while he is prevented from following his profession, and unable to continue the remittances, these officers will be hard put for a living.

It is unworthy of America and the Legion that through the accident of birth a man should be persecuted and restricted in his business. The playing of beautiful music cannot possibly work harm to the Legion, while it gives pleasure and relaxation to many people. If the members of the American Legion prefer not to listen to Mr. Kreisler, there is nothing that forces them to do so. They should do proud that their cities are cultured enough to warrant Mr. Kreisler's appearance.

During the war it would have been impossible for Mr. Kreisler to play in public. But the fighting is over, there is no excuse for its hysteria to continue. What might have been a patriotic stand during the heat of the conflict becomes now merely bigotry and intolerance, entirely out of place in free America.